Delivery Manager Job Description
One role that we are often asked about is the Delivery Manager. This is essentially a project manager, and like a project/program manager, a Delivery Manager is also there to help get things done. But the difference is largely mindset and behaviors. A classic program/project manager often behaves as if their role is about executing on a top-down, command and control plan, ensuring compliance with the process, usually undermining empowerment in the process. In contrast, a delivery manager is there to remove impediments for the product team. Very much in a servant-leadership manner.
Title: Delivery Manager
Delivery Managers work to ensure the team’s success in delivery, primarily by helping to identify and especially remove impediments impacting the team’s ability to deliver.
A Delivery Manager supports multiple cross-functional product teams (squads), and serves as the Scrum Master for each of those product teams.
- Constantly looking to identify impediments early, actively working to resolve those impediments, and escalates when needed.
- Management and tracking of cross team/squad dependencies.
- Management and tracking of all high-integrity commitments.
- Provides proactive visibility and effectively communicates delivery targets, commitments and progress.
- Works to minimize meetings and ceremonies, but when they are needed, they are well-run and efficient.
- Encourages a culture of team-driven decision making and commitment. Encourages team trust and facilitates team building events.
- Where appropriate, coaches the teams to improve collaboration and outcomes (coaching is the primary responsibility of teams’ managers)
- Good general understanding of how large scale software systems are designed, built, tested, deployed and into the hands of customers.
- Strong understanding of delivery and go-to-market methods and metrics.
- Good general understanding of the role of product managers, product designers, engineers, quality assurance, devops and product marketers
- At least 2 years of experience working in the engineering organization of a product company using common Agile methods (Scrum, Kanban, XP)
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification
We know that innovation thrives on product teams where diverse points of view come together to solve hard problems in ways that are just now possible. As such, we explicitly seek people that bring diverse life experiences, diverse educational backgrounds, diverse cultures, and diverse work experiences. Please be prepared to share with us how your perspective will bring something unique and valuable to our product teams.